Saturday, June 25, 2011

Tech week complete

This past week 5 of my fellow trainees and I were sent up to the department of Matagalpa for Ag Tech Week, where we learned how to build an improved oven and stove, and also a biodigester, among other things.  We went to the sites of El Bocon and La Sidra, the homes of two ag volunteers, and two more volunteers from nearby sites joined them in teaching during the week.  We also had somewhat informal language classes discussing the techniques we were learning.  It was fun, but hard.  Building the oven and stove are super tedious, but really important since they significantly reduce the amount of wood needed to cook and divert the smoke away from the kitchen to help with overall health and respiratory issues.  Check out the pics on my site SarahInNica.shutterfly.com.  It was also really cool seeing the life of a typical ag volunteer.  The types of houses we'll be living in, the neighborhoods (although each one will be different of course), and the basic amenities provided.  Their area does have electricity, however the week we were there the power was out, which was ok because it made the nights much quieter without the neighbors playing music. 

At the end of the week we had our site fair, where we got to read about the sites that are assigned for our group of ag volunteers.  They gave us a pamphlet of info about each of the 22 sites available, and some of the volunteers prepared information about each one to share with us during a discussion time so we could get an idea what to expect from each one.  We had to pick our top 3 choices to turn in so we could discuss them more during our site interviews this week.  At the end of the week we should know where we're being placed.  So exciting!  But nerve-wracking as well.  This week decides where I'm going to live for the next 2 years!  Peace Corps just loves to keep us guessing, from the time we first apply (which for me was a year ago!) to getting placed in our site.  It's just never-ending mental stress I tell you.  Two weeks from now we'll each be visiting our site and staying with our future home stay families for the week to get a preview. 

Last week was also the first time I've really gotten sick here.  I probably had some kind of bacterial infection.  I had a fever and was shaking and shivering all night, plus vomiting and other bodily functions that I'll leave up to your imagination.  It was pretty gross.  I'm better now, but definitely not looking forward to the next time I get sick, which is just inevitable. 

This next week is our last time switching language facilitators again, for the 3rd and last time.  I've officially moved up to Intermediate Mid in my Spanish level, which is great.  But it's going to be even harder to move up another level to Intermediate High, which is my goal by the time I swear in as a volunteer.  Swearing in is rapidly approaching!

Instead of Spanish, this time I'll share a Nica-ism: if someone is talking about something, like an object they put somewhere, or is describing the direction of something, they'll shift their head and point to it with their lips, like they're kissing the air.  I haven't quite caught on yet, but lots of volunteers do it, so I'm sure it'll become second nature at some point. 

Va pues,

~Sarita~

No comments:

Post a Comment