Saturday, February 8, 2014

Returning back to site: bras and chia

Now that we’re all back up to date with my month home leave in December and my Peru trip with Tina, I can finally start blogging about my time in Nicaragua again.  It’s already February, I’ve got 7 months to go before I officially COS my Peace Corps service.  And there’s still so much more to do! 

The last two weeks of January I mostly spent settling back into site, like cleaning my dusty, moldy room that had been closed up for 6 weeks (I told Gloria to please open my window while I was gone and turn the fan on to get some air circulation in there, but it wasn’t enough cause the room still stunk when I got back).  I had a lot of groceries to buy since I had eaten most of my food and thawed out my fridge before I left.  A week after being back in site I had to go back to Managua for an ECPA Task Force meeting.  ECPA (Energy and Climate Partnership for the Americas) is where we volunteers get our funding for the improved oven and stove projects, and I’m one of the volunteers on the committee.  Our meeting was mostly to catch us all up on plans for the coming year, since it’s our last year receiving funds for these projects.  The committee also organizes and teaches ovens and stoves workshops for other volunteers so they can learn the technologies.  I’ve helped with two workshops in the past and will help with at least one more this year. 

Chia plants
This last week I accompanied my former host dad, Don Pantaleon, to his chia plot, where he’s been growing the plants for the first time.  Chia has become a very popular crop in recent years in Nicaragua, with a big US market that is buying it up.  I had told Don Pantaleon late last year that I was interested in going out to see his plants so I could learn more about it and maybe help him find some contacts in the States to sell it to.  I had never seen chia plants before, and having only ever really heard of it before as the famous “chia pet”, I thought it looked like long green grass, or like wheatgrass, for all I knew.  The plants are very different, it turns out.  They’re really pretty, with soft green leaves and long stems, and the day I followed him out to see them they were starting to flower.  The plants form long pod-like stems with little delicate purple flowers on them, and once all of the pods mature, they cut the plant at the base, stack them all together to dry, and then shake the dried plants to remove the tiny grey seeds.   Apparently, I found out, it’s the seeds they sell, not the plant.  I didn’t know that chia seeds are such a hot commodity right now in the States, but he tells me that there’s a big market for them amongst the organic health food scene and for medicinal purposes.  Have any of you back home seen or heard of chia being the new thing?  I saw some bags for sale at Ross when I was home for Christmas, but that’s the only time I’ve seen it there.  If you guys know of a reliable buyer in the States who’s looking to buy organic chia direct from Nicaragua, let me know!  I know a guy who grows it J
Don Pantaleon showing me where they cut the plant to harvest it
Chia flowers blooming

Bras for sale!
Gloria, Nayelis and some neighbors showing off their new buys
Before I had come home for Christmas my mom had collected various “gently used” bras that her family, friends, and co-workers had donated to send with me.  I brought back 76 bras to my site and put them up for sale for all the ladies to come by and try on.  American bras (whether-or-not they’re actually made in the USA) are a hot commodity in Nicaragua because they’re well-made and last much longer than the typical cheap-o bra sold here.  So I sold them cheap at 20 cordobas each (less than $1) and made $60 in total selling them all.  I sold 71 bras in the first morning alone!  The ladies came running from everywhere once they got my text that the bras had arrived and were ready to go, and man, they sold like wildfire!  I was lacking heavily in A and B cup sizes, since most of the bras my mom had collected were C cups and above (the biggest one was a 38 G!  And I sold it, but it wasn’t easy).  Most women in my site are petite and smaller-chested.  So if any of you have smaller bras you’d be willing to donate and mail me, respond to this posting and I’ll e-mail you my mailing address.  The money goes to a good cause, I assure you.  I’ve been saving all the bra sales money plus the money from all my clothes and shoes I sold last November.  In total I’ve raised 2,700 cordobas ($108) towards a future community project.  It may go towards a Club Las Estrellas activity, or the swine husbandry project, or a community health fair that I’m also trying to organize. 
Women buying donated bras
Gloria's brother helping me make cement planchas for their improved stove
I’m in the process of getting my previous projects and activities back up and running.  The community bank that I left to close their yearly cycle in December didn’t end very well apparently, ‘cause one of the members didn’t pay back her loan and now owes everyone money.  So I had to go visit her personally and see where she was with that, then planned a group meeting to try to figure out how mediate this issue.  She has two weeks to pay her loan back, so we’ll see how that goes next weekend.  I’m also meeting with two families about building their improved stoves.  This is a frustrating project that I tried to get going last year, but so far no one has wanted to build one yet.  I think they’re dragging their feet on buying their own materials (although they require way less materials than the ovens do) and they’re afraid the stoves don’t work, so I’m in the process of trying to convince people to give it a try.  That’s hard to do when they’ve been cooking a certain way their whole lives.  But as of this week I’ve got two biters, so hopefully by the end of this month they’ll have a new stove in their houses. 

Neighbors helping me make the chimney for a stove
I’m also working on getting the girls’ youth group, Club Las Estrellas, formed again.  This week I sent 6 of the girls to a 3-day camp that Peace Corps volunteers and a Nicaraguan NGO put on every year called Camp G.L.O.W. (girls leading our world), that focuses on teen health and self-esteem issues.  Last year I sent 4, so in total there are 10 girls from Wale who have participated in this camp.  My hope is that once they return next week that we can discuss some of the issues they learned during the camp and make a project out of it, like teaching other girls in the community some of the same topics.  Other activities I’d like to continue with the club include more baking classes, animal biodiversity charlas, and maybe a youth community bank, so they can start learning the important habit of saving and spending their money wisely. 

My girls starting their weekend at Camp G.L.O.W.


As for the swine husbandry project, that may be slow to start.  The MAGFOR animal health inspector that helped me a lot last year has been moved to another department and replaced with a new guy, who I have yet to meet.  Hopefully he’ll be as helpful as the first guy!  I’m trying not to get too over my head with new projects that require funding, seeing as I only have 7 months left.  It’s hard to get a project organized enough in the first place to even start asking for funding for it, so I may have my work cut out for me.  

Keep tuned in for more soon. . .

~Sarah~




No comments:

Post a Comment